Blackwater

Yemeni Forces Kill More Blackwater Mercenaries

The Yemeni army and popular forces killed several other Saudi-hired Blackwater militias in an attack on a military base in the province of Ta’iz.
A sum of 4 Blackwater mercenaries, including two British, an American and a South African paramilitary troops, were killed in an attack on their military base in Zobab region in Ta’iz province, the Arabic-language media outlets reported.

“The Yemeni attack killed former British navy commander George William Castle, former British special forces officer Mark Judd Hart, American national Eshaq Bikark and South African national Alfred Banoushka,” the Arabic-language Al-Masira news channel quoted an unnamed military source as saying on Wednesday.

The town of Zobab is located 40 kilometers to the North of Bab al-Mandeb and is of strategic importance.

Many more Blackwater mercenaries have been killed in the Yemeni attacks in recent weeks.

On December 9, 14 Blackwater mercenaries, including a British, a French, an Australian and six Colombians were killed in an attack on Al-Amri military base in Zobab region in Ta’iz province near the Bab al-Mandeb Strait.

After pulling out its troops from Yemen, the UAE recruited and sent Colombian forces to Yemen to replace its regular troops.

Yemeni Army Spokesman Sharaf Luqman has said that the Blackwater forces dispatched to Yemen comprise Al-Nusra, the ISIL and Al-Qaeda terrorists.

The UAE had previously sent mercenaries from Latin America, specially Colombia, to Yemen without prior coordination with Saudi Arabia.

The United Arab Emirates has quietly built an army of Latin American mercenaries to fight for Yemen’s deposed government in a proxy war.

In a program launched by Blackwater founder Erik Prince and now run by the Emirati military, the force of 450 Latin American troops – mostly made up of Colombian fighters, but also including Chileans, Panamanians and Salvadorans – adds a new and surprising element to the already chaotic mix of forces from foreign governments, armed tribes, terrorist networks and Yemeni militias that are currently embroiled in the Middle Eastern nation, Fox News reported.

It seems there are also going to be hundreds of other foreign mercenaries — Sudanese and Eritrean soldiers — brought into Yemen.

Source: http://blogfactory.co.uk/archives/21248

US to Spike Private Mercenaries in Iraq Amid Expanding War

From Common Dreams

The U.S. government is preparing to hike the number of private mercenary forces in Iraq, as part of the expanding war in that country and neighboring Syria, an anonymous senior U.S. official told Reuters.

There are currently at least 1,800 private contractors in Iraq, and the official said it is not immediately clear how many additional mercenaries will be sent, according to Reuters.

Nonetheless, journalists Warren Strobel and Phil Stewart note, the plan to boost numbers “underscores Obama’s growing commitment in Iraq. When U.S. troops and diplomats venture into war zones, contractors tend to follow, doing jobs once handled by the military itself.”

The mercenary forces will add to the approximately 1,750 U.S. troops currently in Iraq, a number that is slated to climb past 3,000 after U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ordered more deployments last week.

The push to increase U.S. military service members and private contractors comes at a time when little information is being released to the public about the wars in Iraq and Syria, including data on civilian deaths.

Mercenaries are highly controversial in Iraq, due to the atrocities they have inflicted on civilian populations. In 2007, Blackwater guards under the employ of the U.S. State Department opened fire on Iraqi civilians in Baghdad’s Nisour Square, killing 17 people and wounding 20. The victims included 9-year-old Ali Kinani, who was killed by a gunshot to the head.

In October, after years of legal battles, four of the Blackwater guards involved in the massacre were found guilty for some of the killings. However, high-ranking Blackwater and U.S. government officials never faced charges for the massacre and remain free.